The Federal Government of Nigeria has said that the Nigerian resident Doctors who embarked on an “indefinite strike action” have no reason to do so as more than half of their demands have been attended to.
The Minister of Labour and
Employment, Chris Ngige, in a statement, on Monday, said the government had already
addressed six out of eight demands of the striking doctors
The Federal Government made this
known through the Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige in a statement
on Monday. He said, “The government has already addressed six out of eight
demands listed by the Association. With such a high percentage of the
Association’s demands already addressed…. NARD had no reason to embark on an
This statement came after the doctors under the aegis of the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) dropped their working tools in strike action in the early hours of the Monday morning. The strike is to protest the failure of the government to meet some of the demands which they made in this year through week-long strike action.
The issues which they protested over included unpaid salaries, non-payment of hazard allowances, lack of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in hospitals, among other reasons. But following an appeal by Femi Gbajabiamila, the speaker of the house of representatives and some others, the strike action was suspended to give the state and federal government some time to meet up with their demands.
Now, the association has re-embarked
on its strike action. NARD President, “Dr. Aliyu Sokomba told journalists that
the demands being made are yet to be met.”